Modern classic white kitchen remodel!
This young family needed a kitchen and breakfast room remodel that was more conducive to their busy and hectic lifestyle. Two working parents and three active kids demanded a functional kitchen that allowed for the kids to eat in, a more open plan that did not impede traffic flow , a space for entertaining and and updated amenities.
Objectives for this modern classic white kitchen
- Open floor plan so that the cook was not doing laps around the tiny “island” if you can call it that!
- Update the overall look and eliminate the dark and dreary design elements
- Create more division from clean up area and cooking area
- Add additional lighting
- Create more targeted counter space use
- Two ovens, ice maker, wine refrigerator to add to the plan
- Flooring fit for pets
Design Challenges for this modern classic white kitchen
- Not a huge space to accomplish all the client wanted with appliance wish list
- Create space on the island for a minimum of 3 stools for kid seating ( we got 4!)
- Replace all old tile flooring that was two layers deep
- Create a focal point in the kitchen
- Properly vent the hood as existing had recirculating vent
Design Solutions for a kitchen needing to be family friendly, updated and functional!
- Open up the floor plan by eliminating the u shaped kitchen layout and allow more movement towards the much used breakfast patio door
- Incorporate a statement hood with clean and crisp white metal accented with stainless bands
- Move range down to get out of the way of the congested sink area…we did this by moving wall oven and microwave to far left end of window wall run of cabinetry
- Route new duct work for hood through the laundry that backed up against the kitchen wall
- Utilized bar area for entertaining appliances to get them out of the main area of the kitchen and be out of the main traffic patterns
- Add the additional oven the client wanted by using one wall oven and microwave stacked but also adding a large range that had an oven below
- Add a longer island that had seating for four…a bonus stool on the end
- Use slate to be a neutral backdrop for the white and gray island but also to be impervious to lots of kids and pets walking on it
Special Features of this kitchen remodel
- Gorgeous white metal hood with stainless bands ( first seen at KBIS 2014!)
- Black walnut distressed wood top on island
- Bar area away from kitchen features ice maker and wine storage and another 3 barstools for additional seating
- Targeted storage in each cabinet for all of the client’s needs
If you loved this project you may like this Scandinavian Cottage remodel too!